Tuesday 29 April 2014

Island of the Lizard God


This is my entry into this year's one page dungeon contest!

"Island of the Lizard God" was inspired by the "Isle of Dread" D&D module, and the Fighting Fantasy gamebook "Island of the Lizard King" - both old favourites of mine. This year I flirted with various one-page dungeon ideas: a Call of Cthulhu adventure, a walking castle, even a fold-your-own random dungeon generator. In the end I settled on something simpler, something that spoke back to the classics.  Plus, two dungeons on one page!

This competition gets hotter every year, so I don't hold out much hope of winning. It's fun taking part though, and combing through the other entries is always a great source of inspiration for my games.  Best of luck to all the other entrants!

17 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm running that for my group next time we play Old School Hack. And by a strange coincidence my last game was on a tropical isle with a volcano--but they escaped on a stolen pirate ship and will likely come across another island before long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have enough volcanic island chains!

      Delete
  2. Not fair! That is fantastic. Well done Will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look up your blog after seeing your OPD 2014 entry. This takes homebrew to a new level. We're all going to have to step up our game next year to compete. As a fan of illustrative cartography like Skartaris, Earth AD, etc., I found IoTLG to be a must-have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Will Doyle! 2nd place is a honour when the winner has made such a great work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Lorenzo. I loved your entry!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the win; well deserved. This was such a fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Your dungeon made us smile in joy, like kids, and that is what playing any game is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katarina. I tried to give it lots of fun factor!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much! I'm really pleased this 1PD is still getting so much attention. Best of luck with the conversion and have fun playing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.